P2e Nuclear Radiations
- What does the periodic table of the elements show us?
- What is an atom and what is an element?
- What are the main components of every atom?
- What is the nucleus of an atom and from what is the nucleus composed?
- How are the elements arranged in the periodic table?
- What is the atomic number for an atom?
- What is the mass number for an atom?
- What are isotopes of atoms?
- What is meant by an atom being stable?
- What is meant by an atom being Radioactive?
- What is meant by radioactivity?
- What is meant by radioactive decay?
Nuclear radiations; Their nature, uses and dangers
- What are the three nuclear radiations called?
- What is the nature of the three nuclear radiations?
- List the penetrating power and ionising power of the three nuclear radiation in a table.
- What is the difference between irradiation and contamination, in the contect of radioactive materials?
- Which is most serious, irradiation by exposure to a radioactive material or contamination with a radioactive substance?
- How many electrons are there in the nucleus of a plutonium atom?
- What does this tell us about the Beta radiation?
- List two uses for each of the three nuclear radiations.
- Which properties of the three radiations decides what use they can be put to?
- Why are nuclear radiations harmful?
- What are the four possible outcomes for a cell absorbing a particle of nuclear radiation?
- Is nuclear energy a renewable energy source?
- What is ionisation?
- What kind of ions can be formed by nuclear radiation induced ionisation and how does this happen?
- Why is ionisation a problem?
- Can ionisation affect chemical reactions in any way?
Nuclear Power and Nuclear Waste
- Where does the Uranium for nuclear power stations come from?
- Where does plutonium come from?
- What can plutonium be used for?
- What precautions must be taken in order to handle radioactive materials safely?
- What is nuclear waste?
- What are the problems with nuclear waste?
- What are the three types of nuclear waste?
- How is nuclear waste disposed of?
- What are the advantages of nuclear power?
- What are the disadvantages of nuclear power?