P1e Cooking and Communicating with Waves
- How do ovens actually cook food?
- What types of radiation are used to cook foods?
- How do ordinary ovens cook food?
- How does infrared radiation cook food?
- How do microwave ovens heat food?
- How can microwaves heat food?
- How is cooking using microwaves different to cooking using infrared radiation?
- What is the actual difference between microwaves and infrared radiation (apart from their names)?
- How would you summarise the properties of infrared and microwaves that are important to cooking?
- How would you summarise the main difference between microwave and infrared cooking?
Cooking with waves
Communicating with waves
- What type of electromagnetic radiation do mobile phones use?
- What factors can limit the transmission of information over large distances using microwaves?
- Can the problem of signal loss with microwave communications, particularly for mobile phones, be reduced?
- Are mobile phones entirely safe?
- Why are scientists particularly concerned about children using mobile phones?
- What is a mobile phone mast?
- Why are people concerned about living near mobile phone masts?
- How can you minimise the risks of using a mobile phone?