P1d Light and Lasers
- Why was light used for communication historically?
- Why does using light to communicate require the use of a code?
- What is Morse code?
- Why is Morse code a digital code?
- What is an optical fiber?
- How do optical fibers work?
- Do optical fibers only guide visible light?
- What types of communications use optical fibers?
- How do optical fiber help us communicate?
- What applications are there for Total Internal Reflection (TIR) in fibre optics?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of using light, infrared, microwaves, radio and electrical signals for communication?
Light and Optical Fibers
Lasers and applications of laser light
- What is a laser?
- Is laser light different to other forms of light?
- What kind of beam of light does a laser produce?
- Why do most lasers produce an intense coherent beam of light?
- How do these unique properties of laser light make lasers useful?
- What is a CD?
- How does a CD work?
- Why must a laser beam be used to read the CD?
- What is the difference between a CD and a DVD?
- Can you summarise how a CD works?